Search This Blog

Friday 21 November 2014

UK: Wigan Athletic Owner Apologizes for Anti-Semitic Comments

Dave Whelan Wigan Athletic Owner

Dave Whelan Wigan Athletic Owner

The owner of the Wigan Athletic football club in England has apologized for anti-Semitic comments he made stereotyping Jews as cheap people.

Dave Whelan, the 77-year-old with nearly 20 years as owner, said that he saw nothing wrong with a text sent by Malky Mackay, who he recently appointed as the club’s manager. The text read “Nothing like a Jew that sees money slipping through his fingers.”

In response to the text, Whelan added, “Do you think Jewish people chase money a little bit more than we do? I think they are very shrewd people. I think Jewish people do chase money more than everybody else. I don’t think that’s offensive at all.”

Asked about his comments on Thursday, the owner told Sky Sports, “I would never, ever insult a Jewish person. I have got hundreds and hundreds of Jewish friends. I would never, ever upset any Jewish person, because I hold them in the highest regard.”

“If anybody takes offense at anything I have said, please accept my sincere apology. It is either a misquote or, on that day, I must have done 50 interviews.”

“I did not mean to insult any single person but please accept my sincere apology if they feel that way. It was not intended.”


No comments:

Post a Comment