Search This Blog

Thursday 7 November 2013

Swedish Jew wants asylum - in Sweden

In August, I linked to a heartbreaking story about a Swedish Jewish woman and the antisemitism she had experienced there.

The woman, Annika Hernroth-Rothstein, has written something new that is also worth reading:
A case for asylum 

I just got my tickets for the 21st annual Jewish film festival here in Stockholm. It’s the 2nd Jewish event I’ve been to in this city this fall alone. Well. When I say Jewish event I mean Jewish cultural event, of which this city of some 4000 Jews has more than its fair share. 

And I guess that’s why so many of my fellow Jews and friends say that we are doing ok. That there’s no need to rock the boat or cause any trouble in a time where hundreds of people are buying tickets for a klezmer concert and watching holocaust-movies at the local art theatre. 

But you know what, we are not ok. I am not ok. This is not ok.

Kosher slaughter has been outlawed in my country since 1937. And as I go to work tomorrow morning I will continue writing the response to a bill demanding the ban of the import and serving of kosher meat. Another pillar of the Jewish faith, circumcision, is also under threat. In my profession as a political adviser I personally have dealt with 2 such bills in the past year, and the issue of a national ban is gaining both bipartisan political support as well as traction in the public debate. Public display of one’s Jewish identity, such as donning a kippah in public or wearing a magen david , is paired with risk of verbal harassment and physical harm. Synagogues are heavily guarded, so much so that Jewish tourists cannot attend services unannounced or pre-scanned by security, but are turned away. And we, the members, celebrate chagim in the constant presence of police. On Rosh Hashana, as we were taking the 5 minute walk to the water for tashlich, my young son turned to one of the policemen guarding us and asked him why they were all there. The officer replied: “so that no bad people can hurt you”. This is the reality that mine and other Jewish children in Sweden grow up with. They form that self-image, that being Jewish means being under threat of “bad people”. 

And I ask- why are we putting up with this? Why do I hear people, even my own people, say that we are ok? Why do the politicians and the pundits tell me that Jews in Sweden are safe when in reality they are telling us that we are safe as long as we are assimilated? 

We are not being murdered. True. Nor are we being physically driven out. But, we are driven to assimilation. How is this not a crime? How is killing our observance not an imminent threat and a clear violation of our basic human rights?
I want my religious freedom to be protected. I want to be able to live as an observant Jew in Sweden. I want not to have to flee my own country in order to be who I am and live according to my faith. 

What I am asking for is no more than what is given to any refugee seeking asylum in my country, or in the whole of the EU. They want the freedom to practice their religion. Not to be persecuted due to ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or political beliefs. These are basic human rights, expressed in the United Nations universal declaration of human rights as well as a crucial part of the Swedish constitution. People from all over the world seek refuge in my country in order to be who they are. To have the ability to live freely. I want this for them, and I want this for us. 

According to The Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention, anti-Semitic crimes have tripled since 2010. Worst is the situation in Malmö where we see an increase in 320% just from the year 2011. These are the statistics of reported crimes; we can only imagine how many crimes go unreported each year. 

When I raise these issues I often get the answer that I and the rest of Swedish Jewry should make Aliyah, that Europe is doomed and that the time to make a difference has come and gone. But I cannot accept that to be true, no matter how much I promote the idea and practice of Aliyah. Because what is happening is simply not right. And as a people, as humans, we must protest inequality and discrimination in our midst as adamantly as we do when it is perpetrated abroad. Many Swedish politicians and activists are quick and vocal in their fight against oppression all over the world, but silent when it comes to what is going on within our borders. 
And that is why I think it is time to make a statement heard around the world. 

I call upon all Swedish Jews to seek asylumNot in America, nor in Israel. But here, in our own country, and make the Swedish government live up to the promises made. The statues provided by the European Union clearly state that a person should be granted asylum if he or she “has well-founded reasons to fear persecution due to race; nationality; religious or political beliefs; gender; sexual orientation; or affiliation to a particular social group”. Jews in Sweden, particularly in Malmö, meet these criteria, and should thereby receive the protection and support given to non-natives. 

I do realize the absurdity of what I am writing, what I am asking. But the situation is beyond absurdity, beyond op-eds and strongly worded letters. This situation calls for action, reaction, and a statement from Swedish Jewry that it refuses to chooses between fear and assimilation. And as we make that statement we are fighting not only for ourselves, but for all minorities. As we all know it may start with Jews but never ends with Jews. We are now fighting for the right to live a religious life, to preserve cultural and individual identity, and to be who you are without fear of persecution. 

So please, tell me I am not being naïve. Tell me I am not asking too much when demanding the right to practice my religion freely and openly. Or is this no longer to be expected in the Europe that was once the leader in liberal ideas and progressive thought? Is alive and assimilated good enough now, have we given up on the dream of living freely, observantly, Jewishly?

Please tell me that the dream isn’t dead. Pleas say that there’s some fight in us yet. 

Annika Hernroth-Rothstein
(via elder of ziyon)



No comments:

Post a Comment